Man Drank Twelve Energy Drinks in Ten Minutes. Here's What Happened Next
“Bad things are probably going to happen.”
A man who drank 12 energy drinks in 10 minutes found himself in the ER after his pancreas started eating itself. "A man drank 12 energy drinks in 10 minutes. This is what happened to his organs," says Dr. Bernard Hsu, a clinical pharmacist who recreates bizarre emergency room tales he has either experienced firsthand or heard about from others.
Hsu uses actors for his recreations—in this case, the actor portrayed a gamer who drank so many energy drinks his organs started to shut down. Here's what happened and what Hsu had to say about the dangers of energy drinks.
Hsu's ChubbyEmu channel has 2.6 million subscribers. In this particular recreation, Hsu wanted to explain what happened when a man inadvisably drank 12 energy drinks back to back. According to Hsu, the man known as "JR" was admitted to the hospital with abdominal pain. JR is portrayed as a socially awkward 36-year-old man obsessed with video games. Keep reading to learn more and see the video.
Hsu describes the man's symptoms—after downing the drinks, JR experienced heart flutters and abdominal pain. "Immediately after chugging all 12 energy drinks, JS didn't feel well," Hsu says. JR then took a shot of liquor and ended up vomiting in the kitchen sink. Instead of seeking medical attention, JR decided to play video games for a few hours.
"To take his mind off everything, he started playing some games," Hsu said. The man was unable to eat or drink anything and delayed medical attention for several hours after he started not feeling well. The result of this was incredibly scary—JR developed acute pancreatitis.
When he finally went to the hospital, JR vomited on a nurse's shoes. Doctors found that his pancreas had started to "digest itself" and was swollen with fluids. The fluid buildup became infected, impacting his kidneys and liver, and was hooked up to an IV and given antibiotics before being released.
"Most people know that energy drinks can be dangerous when consumed in huge excess," Hsu told viewers. "If you have one once in a while, and you're young and healthy, it's probably not a big deal. But if you start chugging multiple cans back to back, then bad things are probably going to happen."